26 May 2017
← Reconciliation Week 27 May - 3 June
Reconciliation Week 27 May - 3 June
Over the next week we mark - National Reconciliation Week (27 May – 3 June). These dates mark two powerful milestones in Australia’s reconciliation journey: The 1967 referendum and the historic Mabo decision, both events in their own way transforming the place of Indigenous people in Australia. These dates point to the heart of what it means to reconcile – the first step is recognition, actually allowing the other to be real. The next step is dialogue, a sharing of equals in order to understand what the other’s experience is. And the ultimate goal is right relationship, knowing and honouring one another in such a way that we can live in harmony and justice.
For us as an Edmund Rice family following the teaching of Jesus, we mark National Reconciliation Week because our vision of a better world involves recognising people who have been marginalised and doing what we can to make right relationships. By our words and actions we are reminding ourselves to keep focused on the end goal of making this a better world.
One of the things I love about St Patrick’s is that we are a community that doesn’t just spout platitudes about justice and community but instead we put those ideas into action, the commitment to the Paddy’s Van is a great example of this. The challenge of Reconciliation Week sits before us all offering us a new way to be and calls us to keep living out that vision of Jesus and Edmund of a world made new where justice and peace guide all of our choices.
This week in Identity –
- Please have a look at the Reconciliation Australia web site https://www.reconciliation.org.au/ for ideas for families and communities to take forward
- Paddy’s Van ministries continue
- Planning continues for our immersions to Noonkanbah, Timor Leste and India
- Monday 29 May 3:30-4:30pm our Timor Immersion group has its first meeting with the pilgrims from St Laurence’s and St Eddies
- Era for Change are working on the Rubbish Project around the school and preparing for Detention for Detention in Week 8
- The “I Am Your Neighbour” project is continuing linking us to Edmund Rice communities around the world. Information for this is available at http://www.eraforchange.org/im-your-neighbour.html
Pope Francis Wants to Hear From You!