01 September 2016
← Week 27 in Sport
Week 27 in Sport
We enjoyed another successful round of AIC Basketball and Tennis against Padua last Friday & Saturday. Both sports had strong aggregate wins. Our 1st V Basketball Team remain undefeated after another nail biting victory. The team know how to keep everyone on the edge of their seats!
This week is our first home round for our Years 5 - 8 Tennis players and Years 7 - 9 Basketball teams. The Year 5 Basketball Team will also be at home this Friday afternoon. The Years 7 - 9 Basketball families are requested to assist the Sport Support Group and help where possible in the canteen. Parents please drop in and see the friendly Mr David Row to assist our College. Canteen profits are used to support our sporting programs, and in the past, supplement capital projects around the College and Curlew Park. The next meeting of the Sport Support Group will be on Monday 5 September at 6:30pm in the Board room. Everyone is welcome.
A very warm thank you to the non-basketball parents who answered our call for assistance in the canteen over the last two weeks. It would be appreciated if Basketball parents could assist in the coming weeks.
Next Friday 9 September, the AIC Track & Field lead up meets begin. The AIC Championships will be held on 25 & 26 October at QSAC. The lead up meets on September 9 and October 6, 13 and 21 are used to assist coaches in selecting the St Patrick's College team. The competition each week provides an excellent opportunity for students to perfect their skills and abilities in preparation for the AIC Championships. All students are encouraged to be part of the training and lead up meets. Training times are posted on the St Patrick’s College APP and on the Track & Field Connect page. To ensure we have adequate seats on the free return bus, students are asked to visit the College Gym to sign on for the bus. Parents are welcome to attend the meets.
Co-curricular photos for Basketball, Tennis and Cross-Country will be taken on Friday. Students are requested to bring their playing uniform for the photo.
Join the Shorncliffe Shufflers at 6:30am every Sunday for a choice of 6km or 10km runs. All runners welcome. Congratulations to the runners from our group who competed in the Bridge to Brisbane on Sunday.
Outstanding Student Achievements
- Mathew Tebble has qualified for the National Gymnastics competition to be held in Bendigo, Victoria in mid-September. Mathew is a Level 5 gymnast and will be representing his club and Queensland at this event. Congratulations and good luck Matthew!
- 5B Basketball - Well done to this outstanding group of young men. A message from a member of the community:
"I would like to share with you a wonderful display of sportsmanship we witnessed today at a 5B basketball game between Padua College and St Patrick’s. My son fell on the court after a particularly competitive move. One of your young men (#31) Mackinley Breslin leaned over and put his hand out to help my son up and then patted him on the back. It was lovely to see this kind of sportsmanship when it would have been easy to just keep playing and leaving my son to pick himself up. Please pass on our thanks to Mackinley and to all the boys for a great game."
- 9A Basketball - A message from the coach Mr Mark Glenday
"I was wanting to praise the efforts of the 9A basketball team. The team had a good win last Saturday. It was only by one point but the boys played like a champion team. Credit goes to all the players and if I had to choose a MVP for the game it would be to all the players, every single player stepped up, the lead changed about 3-4 times with St Pats coming back to take the win. CONGRATULATIONS 9A."
- Congratulations to Our Head Track & Field Coach, Ms Kate Colahan, on her recent inclusion in Athletics Australia’s latest coaching magazine. Kate is an inspiration to our community through her dedication shown to fostering junior Indigenous Australian Track & Field athletes. See the whole story here.
- Our Track & Field squad competed at the Metropolitan North Track & Field Championships at UQ last week. Our athletes performed very strongly. Full results will be communicated once they are release by Met North.
- Tom Donnell, who is a member of the Premier Squad at the Electric Eels Swimming Club, Zillmere State School, recently competed at the QLD Short Course Swimming Championships. He swam strongly to win the Gold Medal in the Boys 10 Years 50 metre Breaststroke. Tom leaves for Darwin on September 13, as a member of the Queensland team, to participate in the Australian Schools Swimming Championships in Darwin. Good luck Tom!
Contacts for Trimester 3 Sport
Basketball Coordinator Mr Steve Copping firstname.lastname@example.org
Tennis Coordinator Brother Chris Pritchard email@example.com
Track & Field Mr Ryan Schultz firstname.lastname@example.org and Kate Colahan email@example.com